the rantings and ravings of a not quite sane cow

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Guitar Hero III: PS2 vs. X360.

Okay, this isn't the first time that I've joined the wonderous "owned the same game on two platforms" club... but it's the first time in a while. And since GH3 is still selling fairly well (thanks in part to me, obviously), people should probably know the differences and which version is better.

Two things before I start the comparison: one, I'm more of a guitar zero; I can barely beat the career on normal. Two, is a brief history lesson... I got the game on PS2 soon after it came out because... I didn't feel like getting it on Wii. And I got it on 360 because... I have friends who have it who'd like to play against me over the internet.

Oh, and I apologise for the table format... you might have to scroll down. I might fix something better up next time I do one of these.





































Xbox 360Playstation 2
GraphicsObviously the Xbox has the advantage here, but I never realised how big the difference would be. Models have lots of detail, textures are clear and there are some really nice lighting effects.
8/10 - I've seen prettier games, but this more than serves its purpose.
The PS2 isn't so lucky. It seems like every graphical corner possible has been cut. Gone are the nice lighting effects, models are jaggy and sometimes the textures are so bad that I can't even see what ad I'm looking at. When I say every corner has been cut, I mean every corner. The loading screen's background animation has been replaced (and the new one has only 3-4 frames before repeating), and even the YOU ROCK! when you finish a song has had its animation toned down.
4/10 - I'd mark it down more, but at least the note highway is clear enough to see.
SoundI don't really have the sound equipment to make a fair comparison here (stereo speakers), although for what it's worth, the Xbox version did sound a bit clearer, and it probably supports better options... I just can't take advantage of them.
9/10 - rock on!
If I had to pick faults, I'd say that some of the sounds (such as the crowd) aren't quite as clear as they are in the 360 version, although it may just be me.
8/10 - rocks hard enough!
GuitarThe Les Paul that comes with the 360 version feels pretty nice, buttons are fairly responsive (if only I was), it uses the 360's built in wireless, has a d-pad and an Xbox guide button so you can navigate the dashboard (or the mini blades interface) while you're playing. The fret buttons are also mapped to buttons on the Xbox controller (at least from what I can tell), so you could probably try playing another game with it... I wouldn't recommend it though.
9/10 - I'm marking it down because I dream of a rechargeable guitar.
The Striker that comes with the PS2 version is everything the Les Paul isn't (read: it sucks). It has a plug in wireless adaptor for the PS2 (fair enough, and I won't mark it down for that). I'll also mention that you don't get the kind of non-guitar guitar control (does that make sense?) that the Les Paul has, but there's not that much to do on the PS2 anyway. What I do miss is being able to turn on my console via the guitar. Wait though, I'm getting to the real problems... the fret buttons are a bit harder to press and slower to respond than the Les Paul's, the whammy bar is maybe a little bit stiffer (doesn't make a ton of difference, I whammy hard enough anyway). The tilt sensor barely works and the button to activate star power is out of the way. Oh, and after a couple of months of semi-frequent usage, the fret buttons stopped responding unless I hold the neck in just the right position and stand still... I managed to fix that in a highly technological fashion (read: shoved a tissue down the neck to hold it still), but it kind of ruins the looks.
2/10 - after all, it still works.
Exclusive FeaturesThe 360 was never going to lose this category. Online play, downloadable songs, quickplay co-op (via a patch, but it counts) and the Grim Ripper has to be the coolest of all the available players.
9/10 - the DLC is overpriced, but other than that it's all good
Hmmm.... errr.... uhhh...
1/10 - Metalhead looks kinda cool
Cow PowerDon't ask me why, but for some reason I seem to hit about 10% more notes with this version.
8/10 - In case you haven't figured it out yet, Cow Power is where I rig the results.
This is the first Guitar Hero game I got, and it introduced me to the genre. I'll thank it for that. But does that mean I'd be seen in public with it? Not a chance.
2/10 - You're a good friend. But you're like that kid with freckles - nice, but it'd kill your chances of becoming popular to be seen with you.
Total43/5017/50


The fact that I have less to write about the 360 version means something, since almost I do is complain. The PS2 version loses on every count (okay, call sound a draw if you want).

Just remember that those scores are comparative... if you only have access the PS2 version, you should still get it, you'll just be missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment